Be the Solution NOT the Problem

"Leaders think and talk about the solutions. Followers think and talk about the problems"
As i told before, in my teaching practice i faced some problems. how did i do to those problems?



1)      Language Difficulty

Actually have a difference language is not a big problem between me and the students. But I have to say sometimes there’s a misunderstanding between us. The pronunciation of Filipino is a little bit different with mine. In my first teaching experience, I said “go back” with /go beck/ but they pronounce it /go back/ with “a” hahaha. And then, for the word that ends with –ion- like situation, I just say /situesyen/ but they used to change the “e” with “o” /situesyon/. If I said the common pronunciation, they’ll not understand what I’m saying. So I tried to follow their pronunciation.

And not all the students in grade 1 SSES are fluent in English. Sometimes they still spoke tagalog to communicate with me. So when it happened, I just ask other student who’re good in English to be a translator hihi. Ah yes, when I was giving an instruction, some of them didn’t get what I meant. So I used my gesture and body language, repeat the statement and give a pressure in important words.

2)      Misbehaviors
Sometimes they didn’t hear my instruction, when I delivered the topic or gave them the instructions, they're just still talking with others and did another work. So there’re some optional to solve that problems.
  1. Wait for a few more seconds (for me 5 seconds is enough) to make sure that I have everybody's attention.
  2. Used TPR method. TPR stands for Total Physical Response. It’s a method of teaching language of vocabulary concepts by using physical movement to react verbal input or we can say it used to build around the coordination of speech and action.

To make them sit in their own seat properly, I often said “10, 9, 8, 7, 6” they would response with saying and action “go back to my sit and sit properly”. In other side to make sure they didn’t do others things, I would say “5, 4, 3, 2, 1” and they response with saying “keep anything away”. So they would stop doing other activity.

3)       Getting nervous before teaching

Actually it’s okay to feel nervous before teaching because I often felt it too hehe. So to minimize that feeling is master the subject matter and lesson plan as well!  Memorize the sequence of learning process is important, so I often put the clues in my power-point slide or just take a note in a piece of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment